Pork Loin in the Style of PorchettaNovember 11, 2019
This pork loin in the style of porchetta is an Italian classic that blends pork loin with a ground pork shoulder, fennel, and rosemary filling, to make an impressive, celebration-worthy entrée.
Pork loin in the style of porchetta is a mash-up of arista, the traditional pork loin roast from Tuscany that’s spit-roasted with garlic and rosemary, and another Italian classic, porchetta, which is a nearly boneless whole suckling pig stuffed with seasoned meat and rubbed with rosemary. It’s where pork loin and porchetta meet and it’s a beautiful place to be. See you there.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Pork Loin in the Style of Porchetta
- Quick Glance
- 50 M
- 2 H, 15 M
- Serves 4 to 6
One (4-pound) boneless pork loin roast, butterflied (have the butcher do this)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more more for drizzling
1 medium onion (7 oz), thinly sliced
1 fennel bulb (8 oz), trimmed, fronds reserved and chopped, bulb thinly sliced
2 pounds ground pork shoulder
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary leaves
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 red onions (about 2 lbs), cut in half
1 lemon, halved
- 1. Place the pork loin flat on your work surface and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. In a 10- to 12-inch saute pan, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil over medium-high heat until smoking. Add the sliced onion and fennel and saute until softened and lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Add the ground pork, fennel seeds, rosemary, garlic, and 2 tablespoons pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- 4. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- 5. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the fennel fronds, the bread crumbs, and eggs to the pork mixture and mix gently. Spread the mixture over the pork loin. Roll it up, starting from a long side, like a jelly roll, and tie with butcher’s twine.
- 6. Scatter the red onions in a roasting pan and place the pork loin on top. Drizzle the pork and onions with olive oil and rub to coat. Roast for 75 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 135°F (57°C).
- 7. Remove the pork loin from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 8. Slice the pork loin into 1-inch-thick pieces. Serve the pork drizzled with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon, garnished with the reserved fennel fronds, and with the onions on the side. (You can toss any leftovers in the fridge and slice them thin for the king of sandwiches the next day.) Originally published July 5, 2005.
Pork Loin in the Style of Porchetta Recipe © 2005 Mario Batali. Photo © 2005 Christina Holmes. All rights reserved. All materials used with permission.