Skillet Eggs with Chorizo and VegetablesNovember 11, 2019
This skillet eggs with chorizo and vegetables is an easy one-pan meal made with chorizo sausage, zucchini, eggplant, tomato, and onions and are topped with fried eggs. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
This skillet eggs with chorizo and vegetables is one of those recipes that you can tweak any which way. And by that we mean you can serve it for brunch or for dinner, with or without chorizo, using fresh or canned tomatoes, as a chunky sauce for pork chops, chicken breasts, perhaps even pasta, or minus the eggs as a sloppy side dish. Any which way. Your way.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Skillet Eggs with Chorizo and Vegetables
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 45 M
- Serves 2
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion (red or yellow), cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch (12- to 18-mm) pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch (12- to 18-mm) pieces
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes (optional)
7 to 10 ounces Spanish (cured) chorizo, sliced (optional)
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch (12- to 18-mm) pieces
7 ounces (almost 1/2 pound) zucchini, chopped into 1/2- to 3/4-inch (12- to 18-mm) pieces
One (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained, or 3/4 to 1 pound (340 to 454 g) fresh tomatoes, skinned, seeded if desired, and chopped
2/3 cup cold water
Freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs
Pinch hot paprika
- 1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and red bell pepper and stir to coat with the oil. Cover and cook until the onion is softened and barely golden, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Uncover, stir in the garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes, if using, and cook for 1 minute. If using the chorizo, add it now. Stir in the eggplant, cover, and cook until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the zucchini, season with salt, and cook, uncovered, for 4 more minutes.
- 4. Stir in the tomatoes and the water, season with salt and pepper, and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened slightly, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 5. Break the eggs on top of the mixture (or, if your egg cracking leaves a little something to be desired and is prone to leaving stray shell shards, break the eggs into a bowl first and then hold it close to the skillet and slip the eggs into the sauce). Sprinkle the eggs with some paprika and a little salt. Cover the skillet and simmer gently until the eggs are set to your liking, about 5 minutes for runny yolks or a little longer for yolks that are set.
- 6. Set the skillet on the table and scoop the eggs and sauce straight from the skillet. Originally published September 16, 2013.
Skillet Eggs with Chorizo and Vegetables Recipe © 2013 José Pizarro. Photo © 2013 Emma Lee. All rights reserved. All materials used with permission.